07 December 2007

Ethiobirds

mp3: Andrew Bird - Ethiobirds

Andrew Bird is probably the only artist whom I would be willing to give my attention for a ten and a half minute violin instrumental. If you are not so generous, that's completely understandable; I've just been captivated by this song recently and wanted to get some quick thoughts out there. If you're willing to give it a shot (and I hope you are), it's probably best to get some headphones and really concentrate on it.

"Ethiobirds" is from his Fingerlings 3 album, released in 2006 and the (obviously) third in a series of live collections. This track was recorded in his barn studio in rural Illinois, using a looping device which allows him to record a few lines and then play them back as long as is needed to create layers and layers of sound using just one instrument. It's a tough concept to describe (at least for me), but I think when you listen it will become pretty clear. He uses this method extensively in his live shows.

Mr. Bird sets things up by creating a nice little almost-rollicking groove with some pretty picking. At 1:23, he brings in more emotive, swooping lines that undulate in intensity and ride nicely along the staccato base. But things really start getting good around 5:03 where achingly beautiful phrases float above the still chugging beat. This gradually builds into a seriously gorgeous passage from about 6:40-7:20 that swirls and trills and just plain does it for me. From that apex, a slow fade into a pulsing pedal-effect drone finishes off the song.

I suppose I don't have anything particularly novel to say about this one, but I hope that my gushing helped you appreciate it at least a little more than you would have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely correct...although new to the fingerlings 3 album ( I only discovered it recently), this particular track by Bird is too good to miss. It is almost unbelievably good. Eastern in flavor, with clearly mid-western crickets in the background and his incredible looping technique underlying the whole piece...take a deep breath, hit play and close your eyes. You will not hear a more beautiful piece of music.